Thursday, March 07, 2019

Lent: Temptation

I am fortunate to have a few people in my life who know me inside-out, from head to toe, and from front to back, yet who still call me a friend.

Such people are the proof that God loves us. These are people who know my brightest impulses and my darkest ones as well. They’ve seen me at my best and at my worst, and who have been through harrowing ordeals at my side, or with me at theirs. When there's a problem, we know whom to call for advice given with our best interests at heart.

There's someone else who knows me that well but his advice is treacherous. His name is Temptation.

The problem is that Temptation is a confidence artist. He knows how to promise everything you want for nothing down, and when you agree you quickly realize that you've paid too much for something you don't need as badly as you thought you wanted it.

Follow his advice, and you can have what you want right now: popularity, sex, money, peace and quiet to read a good book, power, influence, the praise of others, security, and things you've wanted for years. It's like a shortcut in the race. You'll get to the finish line quicker, but without your integrity.

But there's a trick we can learn when it comes to Temptation. The pauper is tempted to steal silverware; the rich woman never is. Once you figure out why he makes you the offers that he does, you begin to realize what really matters to you and you begin to understand who you really are.


Copyright © 2019 by David Learn. Used with permission.




No comments: