Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Lent: Favor

Right now I'm killing time between dropping my daughter off for dress rehearsal for her end-of-term circus show and the show itself. While she practices her stilt-walking I'm taking a couple hours to get some work done and to eat.

Dinner tonight is a barbecue chicken sandwich on flatbread. Over the years since I first became aware of this place, I've found that this is the sandwich they have that I like most. I sometimes get something else to shake things up, but for the most part when I come in, I know what I want, I tell the cashier, and five minutes later I'm in gustatory paradise. It's good to have a favorite.

Granted, it's not such a great deal for the sandwich, but what can you do about it?

I read a story once that God asked all the peoples of earth to be his chosen people, and only the Jewish people were wiling to take the risk. Everyone recognized what a golden opportunity they were being offered to be God's favored, but they also recognized the burden that such a status would carry, with its obligations to keep Torah and to be a light to draw all nations to God.

Being favored with honor, wealth or status carries with it the obligation of using those things for the good of others. In the 1995 release "Braveheart," while Mel Gibson's William Wallace has been fighting a long battle for Scottish independence against King Edward Longshanks, the Scottish nobles have been bickering over status, titles and lands.

"There's a difference between us," Wallace tells them. "You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom."

Every gift,ever honor or privilege, every favor we enjoy, whether we were born into it, were awarded with it, or earned it with our own hard work, is never ours to enjoy exclusively. It comes with the responsibility to use it advance the welfare of others, particularly the lowest and least regarded.

It's a good thing to receive favor. And a tremendous burden.


Copyright © 2019 by David Learn. Used with permission.


No comments: