Thursday, December 15, 2016

Advent: Lifted

It's not obvious from the picture, but I took it a moment ago at Panera Bread on Route 1, where my close, personal friend Tim Nussbaumer and I have spent many an hour laughing together, trying to shock or outrage one another, discussing the news, talking shop about church, and even analyzing passages of Scripture. (Seriously, it gets into heady stuff, from the authorial intent of a 3,000-year-old Middle Eastern shepherd to the theology of race behind the books of Galatians and Hebrews, with the occasional foray into textual criticism, source material, comparative religion and even "Blue's Clues.")

Why this for "lifted?" Because these discussions are among the highest points of my week. I look forward to them like my daughter does to a birthday party. If you can't have such eclectic discussions with a friend over a cup of coffee, you might as well not get out of bed that week.

Also: I am writing again. After years of struggling to write anything worth reading, and feeling my value as a human being shrivel up with it, gras a Die, at last writing is starting to become once more the joy that I have always known it to be.


Copyright © 2016 by David Learn. Used with permission.


No comments: