Friday, March 31, 2017

Lent: With

I enjoy a bit of solitude as much as the next person, but when it goes on for too long, it can feel like rats are eating my brain.

Little tasks become insurmountable, bigger tasks take on the scope and size of an iceberg and an actual crisis is fatal. That sense of being alone carves out an oubliette and locks me, in without even the movement of shadows on the wall to reassure me that there is anything beyond the cave.

I've been fortunate. When things have been that bad, I've had friends who have crawled into the hole with me and stayed as long as I needed them to. No judgment, no dismissal of how I'm feeling, just a presence and a support that can hold the darkness at bay without relying on words.

When the world is stacked against you, and each day brings new fears of loss, of rejection, or worse, it can make all the difference to know that we're not alone, that someone is with us.



Copyright © 2017 by David Learn. Used with permission.


No comments: