Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Advent: Watch

I'll admit, I rarely have found the comfort others want me to during times of distress when they remind me that God is watching over me. God's eyes surely are on the sparrow, but aren't two of them sold in the market for one penny? He may know when they fall, but that doesn't keep them from falling. In the same way, God has sat enthroned between the cherubim during holocausts, genocides and other unspeakable horrors. He doesn't even intervene to keep parents from losing children. He can be hard to have faith in.

And yet I do. He urges us to have hope, and to watch for signs that he is coming. He never promises life will be easy -- that's a lie peddled by Hallmark Cards -- but he does say that though his justice tarries, to look for it. The wicked, he assures us, have fortified themselves on a muddy slope and guaranteed their own ruin, and the ruin of all those who work with them.

In the end, the prophet Isaiah promises, God will justify his servant, who will see the light of life and be exalted.

Wait for it. Wait for him, and keep watch.




Copyright © 2016 by David Learn. Used with permission.


No comments: